If you’re looking for a healthy alternative to traditional cigarette smoking, e-cigarettes may just be the ideal solution for you.
Rather than dried tobacco and hundreds of additives (most of which are toxic), electronic cigarettes use liquid nicotine, or e-liquid. While there’s been a lot controversy over whether e-liquid is truly a healthier alternative, thousands of users tout the benefits of this cigarette alternative.
Hundreds of thousands of people have made the switch to nicotine juice.
Here are three compelling reasons for you to hop on the bandwagon and make the switch, too.
1. With E-Liquid You Control the Nicotine Strength
When you buy a pack of cigarettes, you have little control over how much nicotine is in each cigarette. Sure, some brands are stronger than others, but do you really know exactly how much nicotine your favorite brand of cigarettes has in it? Probably not.
But with nicotine juice, you can decide how much or how little nicotine you take in.
How? E-liquids come in different strengths. Most manufacturers offer liquids with high, medium, low and no nicotine levels. In most cases, levels are listed either in mg or as a percentage. E-liquids typically come in 24mg, 18mg, 12mg, 6mg or 0mg strengths, although you will also find other strengths available. Every manufacturer is different, so you may find some variations here.
- 0mg: No nicotine. This type of e-liquid is typically used by former smokers who use e-cigarettes to satisfy their oral fixation.
- 6mg: Lightest level available. A smart choice for those who like the taste of e-liquid and only want a small amount of nicotine. If you’re trying to quit, this is usually the last level in weaning yourself off nicotine.
- 12mg: Low levels. Ideal for people who used to smoke light cigarettes, and those who aren’t heavy users.
- 18mg: Middle-of-the-road level. Most former smokers enjoy this level.
- 24mg: High level. The best nicotine liquid for former heavy smokers (1 pack a day). Nicotine levels are noticeable, which is why former smokers enjoy this strength.
- 36mg: The highest strength available. This level is usually the preferred choice of former smokers who were seriously addicted to cigarettes (2+ packs a day).
Note: As a general rule of thumb, you want to err on the side of caution and choose a lower nicotine level. Higher isn’t always better. When nicotine levels are higher than your body is used to, you may feel lightheaded or dizzy, or you may start experiencing headaches.
The great thing about being in control of the strength of the nicotine is that you can slowly begin to wean yourself off of it, and eventually quit – if that’s your main goal. Knowing the nicotine strength of the e-juice can also help you find a level that’s on par with regular cigarettes, so you have an easier time transitioning to and sticking with e-cigarettes.
No matter whether you plan on continuing smoking or will use e-cigarettes to help you quit, being in control of how much nicotine you’re taking is essential.
2. Liquid Nicotine Has Fewer Additives
Did you know that cigarettes have 599 additives and more than 4,000 chemicals? At minimum, 69 of those chemicals are linked to cancer. E liquid nicotine contains just a few ingredients.
While each manufacturer has their formulas for their e-juice products, most liquids use a base of either:
- Propylene Glycol: The most common base. Offers more flavor and more of a throat hit. This base is slightly sweet and transparent. USP grade propylene glycol can be found in cake mixes, cosmetics, salad dressing, soft drinks and other everyday products.
- Vegetable Glycerin: Slightly smoother, sweeter and thicker. USP-approved vegetable glycerin can be found in thousands of products, including food and drink.
- Polyethylene Glycol: A compound that’s non-toxic and commonly used in food additives and pharmaceutical compositions.
Propylene glycol is the most common base used. Other ingredients may be added to create a certain aroma or taste. Liquid nicotine is, of course, also included in the formula.
The great thing about e-liquids is that you can shop around and look for companies that offer higher quality, healthier products. For instance, some companies only use food-grade flavorings in their e-liquid products for the utmost in safety and flavor.
With traditional cigarettes, you really don’t know what you’re smoking. With so many additives and harmful ingredients, it only makes sense to switch over to liquid nicotine.
There’s still some controversy over whether e-liquid is truly a healthy choice, but it’s hard to argue that it’s any less safe than traditional cigarettes. All three bases – propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin and polyethylene glycol – can be found in the products we use every day, including cosmetics and food.
Another side benefit of e-liquid is that you can choose different flavors. From chocolate to mint, vanilla, candy cane, tobacco and everything in between, there are hundreds of different flavors to choose from. And many manufacturers use the same flavorings that bakers and food producers use, so they’re safe for consumption.
3. e-Liquid Nicotine Saves You Money
Let’s face it – cigarettes are expensive. But that doesn’t stop people from smoking them. Liquid nicotine can give you the same satisfaction that a regular cigarette gives you without costing you an arm and a leg.
How much can you save? Let’s break this down and put things into perspective. A single milliliter of e-liquid has about 35-40 drops in it. That’s about enough to fill a typically e-cig tank. It’s nearly impossible to get an accurate estimate of how many cigarettes 1ml is equivalent to simply because smokers have different puffing habits and styles.
That said, the general consensus is that 2ml of e-liquid is equivalent to a pack of cigarettes. Using this figure:
- 10ml bottle = 5 packs
- 15ml bottle = 7.5 packs
- 30ml bottle = 15 packs
- 50ml bottle = 25 packs
The average price of a pack of cigarettes in the U.S. is $6. Keep in mind that this is just an average. In New York City, you can expect to spend $12 for a pack.
How does this compare to e-liquids? On average:
- 10ml bottle costs $6.99, which equates to about $1.40 a pack.
- 15ml bottle costs $9.99, which equates to about $1.33 a pack
- 30ml bottle costs $19.99, which equates to about $1.32 a pack
- 50ml bottle costs $29.99, which equates to about $1.19 a pack
Depending on your smoking habits, you could save well over $1,000 a year just by switching over to liquid nicotine.
When you consider the fact that e-cigarettes can give you the same satisfaction as a traditional cigarette, it only makes sense to make the switch. Even if you don’t care about the potential health benefits of switching to nicotine juice, you can at least appreciate that you’ll be saving money each year. Having an extra $1,000 can mean taking a vacation, paying off debt or catching up on bills.
With e-liquid, you can control how much nicotine you take in, there are fewer additives, and you can save money. While it’s still up for debate whether liquid nicotine is truly healthy, it’s a step in the right direction away from traditional cigarettes. If these three compelling reasons (better health, more control and less money spent) aren’t enough to get you to make the switch, nothing will.